New Year’s Resolutions: Vaping, The Planet & You
Your commitment to Stop Smoking is our commitment to the Planet!
Adding carbon offsetting to all our deliveries
With the start of the New Year 2024, Original C has made a commitment to start using the Shopify Planet systems, which is designed to and allows us to offset the emissions caused by our shipping process. That is delivering your orders to you via our couriers. It is an important milestone in the journey toward a greener and more sustainable e-commerce ecosystem for us all, while supporting you in your journey.
Why does it matter?
Carbon offset schemes are pretty awesome for a bunch of reasons. First off, they give people and businesses a straightforward way to make up for their carbon mess. By investing in cool projects like planting trees or creating clean energy, you're basically balancing out the greenhouse gases you throw into the environment. It's like giving Mother Earth a high-five.
These schemes also push for more eco-friendly vibes. The more we back carbon offset projects, the more we cheer on the development of green technologies and practices. It's not just good for the environment but also for creating jobs and helping out local communities.
Plus, carbon offsetting is a rockstar in reaching carbon neutrality. It's a way to offset the emissions we can't completely kick to the curb, letting businesses and individuals aim for a net-zero carbon footprint. It's like doing your part in the global hustle to tackle climate change.
And hey, diving into carbon offsetting makes people more aware of how their actions impact the environment. It's a way to step up, take responsibility, and nudge everyone towards greener habits. So, whether you're a regular person or a big-shot company, carbon offset schemes are a simple and impactful way to throw some love to the planet.
How does it Work?
The Shopify Planet App operates on a simple yet powerful premise: for every shipment made through the platform, a corresponding amount of carbon emissions is calculated. The app then automatically invests in verified carbon offset projects to neutralise the environmental impact of that shipment. We will add a badge to key pages on our website to show how much carbon emissions we offset over time.
- Using Verified Carbon Offsets. One of the key strengths of the Shopify Planet App lies in its commitment to supporting high-quality, verified carbon offset projects. These projects can take various forms, including reforestation initiatives, renewable energy projects, and methane capture programs. By investing in these projects, Shopify ensures that the carbon offsets are tangible, measurable, and contribute positively to the fight against climate change.
- Transparency & Accountability Matters. Transparency is at the core of Shopify's commitment to sustainability. The Shopify Planet App provides users with detailed insights into the carbon offset projects they are supporting, offering a transparent view of the environmental impact of their business operations. This transparency fosters a sense of accountability and empowers businesses to make informed decisions about their ecological footprint.
The No. 12 on the New Years Resolution List.
Now according to the ‘Good Housekeeping’ website, to Quit Smoking is No. 12 on the list. According to a recent BBC Article however, the whole "smoking is on the decline" trend in England has hit a serious speed bump thanks to our not-so-friendly pandemic.
According to some study, the smoking drop went from a decent 5.2% pre-pandemic to a measly 0.3% between April 2020 and August 2022. Researchers think that more youngsters decided to pick up the nasty habit during the pandemic, and they're waving the red flag, saying we need to do something pronto. In particular, the study hints at a 120% boost in people quitting during the pandemic and a 40% increase in quit attempts. But, and it's a big but, as mentioned that this was offset by more folks lighting up cigarettes again, especially among our youngsters i.e. 18-24-year-olds.
Dr. Sarah Jackson from University College London says stress and social isolation might be why young adults went for the cigs during the lockdown. The researchers are vibing with the idea of raising the smoking age, so a 14-year-old can't legally get their hands on a pack. Smoking dipped among the 45-65 crew, but also here stalled among the well-off social groups. And most sadly the study suggests that some quitters might be relapsing, making the smoking decline slow down even more. Home office vibes might've contributed to loneliness and bad mental health, making people less motivated to quit. While on the other side, those working with their hands might have had it rather rough financially recently, making smoking less affordable.
The government claims they've doubled the dough for stop-smoking services, helping out 360,000 people, and they're planning to give out a million free vapes. Meanwhile, Wales is aiming for a smoke-free status by 2030, and Scotland's setting its sights on 2034. Let's see if we can kick this smoking thing to the curb, folks!
Are you one of those who picked up smoking during the pandemic or one who has not yet been able to kick the habit? How about your family, friends and kids?
Are You Ready to Break Free & Stop Smoking?
Smoking is a deeply ingrained habit that often proves challenging to overcome. However, the decision to quit smoking is a commendable and life-changing choice that brings numerous health benefits. In this blog post, we will explore various methods, including products, to help individuals break free from the shackles of smoking and embark on a healthier, smoke-free lifestyle.
Effective Methods to Quit Smoking
Going "cold turkey" is one of the most straightforward methods of quitting smoking. It involves quitting abruptly without any gradual reduction. While this approach requires strong willpower, some individuals find success by making a firm decision to quit and sticking to it.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
NRT involves using products that contain low doses of nicotine to help reduce withdrawal symptoms. Common NRT options include:
- Nicotine Patches: These patches deliver a controlled dose of nicotine through the skin.
- Nicotine Gum: Chewing gum releases nicotine to alleviate cravings.
- Nicotine Lozenges: These dissolve in the mouth, providing a slow release of nicotine.
- Nicotine Nasal Spray: A fast-acting option that delivers nicotine through the nasal membrane.
- Nicotine Inhalers: Mimic the hand-to-mouth motion of smoking while delivering a controlled dose of nicotine.
There are prescription medications available to help individuals quit smoking. Two commonly prescribed medications are Bupropion (Zyban) and Varenicline (Chantix). These medications work by altering brain chemistry to reduce the desire for nicotine.
Vaping has gained popularity as an alternative to traditional smoking. It involves using electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) that heat a liquid (e-liquid) containing nicotine. Vaping products include:
- Vaping E-liquids: Liquids that contain varying levels of nicotine. They are flavorful liquids that come in an extensive array of tastes, ranging from fruity and sweet to tobacco and menthol. The key component is the e-liquid, which is heated by the vaping device to produce an aerosol (commonly referred to as vapour) that users inhale. These liquids are not just about nicotine delivery; they offer a customizable and enjoyable experience for users who can choose varying levels of nicotine and experiment with diverse flavour profiles, contributing to the appeal of vaping as a versatile and personalised alternative to smoking.
- Nicotine Salts (Nic Salts): A type of nicotine that is smoother and more concentrated, often found in vaping liquids. Nicotine salts are a specific type of nicotine found in some vaping liquids, offering a smoother and more concentrated nicotine hit compared to traditional e-liquids. They are created by combining nicotine with acids, allowing for a higher concentration of nicotine without the harshness often associated with freebase nicotine. Nicotine salts are known for faster nicotine absorption, making them popular among those seeking a quick and satisfying nicotine experience. They are often preferred by individuals transitioning from smoki
- Cigalikes: Cigalikes, short for cigarette-like, are vaping devices that closely resemble traditional cigarettes in appearance and size. Available in both disposable and rechargeable forms, cigalikes are user-friendly and often preferred by beginners due to their familiarity. These devices typically consist of a small battery and a pre-filled cartridge, making them convenient and hassle-free. Cigalikes offer a smooth transition for smokers looking to quit, providing a similar hand-to-mouth action and nicotine delivery without the combustion and harmful by-products associated with traditional smoking.
Behavioural therapy is a valuable tool in smoking cessation. It helps individuals identify and change the behaviours associated with smoking. This can involve counselling, support groups, or cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT). Behavioural therapy addresses the psychological aspects of smoking addiction and equips individuals with coping strategies.
Hypnotherapy involves guided relaxation and focused attention to help individuals reach a heightened state of suggestibility. In this state, a trained hypnotherapist can suggest behavioural changes, such as quitting smoking. While the effectiveness varies from person to person, some individuals report success with this alternative approach.
Mindfulness and Meditation
Mindfulness and meditation techniques can be powerful tools in smoking cessation. Practicing mindfulness can increase self-awareness, helping individuals better understand their triggers and cravings. Meditation can also reduce stress, a common factor that leads to smoking.
Having a strong support system is crucial when trying to quit smoking. Informing friends, family, or coworkers about the decision to quit can provide encouragement and accountability. Support groups, whether in person or online, offer a sense of community where individuals can share their experiences and strategies.
Exercise and Healthy Lifestyle Changes
Engaging in regular exercise not only promotes overall health but also helps distract from cravings and reduce stress. Adopting a healthier lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular physical activity, can contribute to a successful smoking cessation journey.
Quit Smoking: Challenging but highly rewarding.
The effectiveness of each method varies from person to person, and often a combination of strategies yields the best results. Whether utilising NRT, prescription medications, vaping, or a holistic approach, the key is to find a method that works for you. Breaking free from smoking opens the door to a healthier, smoke-free life filled with improved well-being and vitality.
When you ditch the smokes, your body goes into superhero mode. Right off the bat, your heart gets a breather – heart rate chills, and blood pressure takes a nosedive back to normal. In just a couple of days, it's like someone turned up the volume on taste and smell – everything's more vibrant. Weeks into this quitting adventure, your lungs start doing some spring cleaning, kicking out the mucus and clearing itself of those stuck additives. And so while you can now say goodbye to chronic bronchitis and emphysema worries, you're now also looking at a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and even some nasty cancers. It's not just a physical makeover – mentally and emotionally, you'll feel the buzz of more energy, better moods, and a serious sense of accomplishment. Quitting smoking is like giving yourself a VIP pass to a healthier, happier life.